Mill house set in beautiful, secluded grounds.
Weekly price guide: £5160-£8447
Property Ref: THE1942
Set in its own beautiful, secluded grounds, the mill house provides exceptional 5 star accommodation in the heart of the Charente Maritime countryside. The relaxing surroundings combine with the charm of this historic mill to provide you with the perfect way to unwind. Originally a functioning watermill producing flour (the wheel is intact and still turns plus the original bread oven is still in place) it has undergone major restoration and refurbishment by the enthusiastic owners. The accommodation has large spacious reception rooms with beautifully furnished contemporary interiors and outside there are wide sun and shaded terraces with extensive grounds and a large salt water, heated swimming pool with traditional charentais stone BBQ area. The house can comfortably sleep up to 18 adults in 9 bedrooms and 4 children or teenagers on z-beds. The mill house which was voted one of the 25 best villas in Europe by Conde Nast is the perfect venue for your vacation or French Wedding/Celebration or both if combined and the enthusiastic owners Steve and Manisiah will be at hand to help you have a memorable stay.
|Bedrooms:||Leading off the balcony area are the East and West wings of the house which contain the 5 double en-suite bedrooms and 3 twin en-suite bedrooms. The bedrooms are beautifully furnished in an eclectic style mixing ancient with modern in a traditional setting with honey coloured Charantais stone walls and solid oak flooring. These bedrooms and bathrooms have been lovingly restored to compliment the rest of the mill without sacrificing the modern necessities of bathrooms and showers.|
|Kitchen:||Large open plan modern kitchen, which is fully fitted with the latest American style fridge, 5 ring gas hob, two full sized electric ovens and microwave. There is a central island which houses the sink, two dishwashers, 2 drawer drinks fridge, wine cave, and is a great place to congregate when cooking. There is also a large ancient rectangular dining table and chairs perfect for having breakfast with family or friends.|
|Living Rooms:||There is a large salon that has the traditional Charantais fireplace with three large comfy couches and entertainment in the form of a huge plasma television which has Freesat but has the option of receiving SKY (just bring your SKY card), Blu-ray DVD, and a quality music system.
A large formal dining room, which comfortably seats up to 18-20 people. The dining room is where the millstream runs through the house to the millwheel at the rear of the property and there is small wall suitable for seating and viewing the stream via a toughened glass-viewing panel (safety glass). This is a particularly nice feature as the stream is illuminated at night.
The 'Garden room' opens out to the rear gardens and doubles as an extra bedroom with a large comfy sofa bed to accommodate additional adults or children in the party if necessary.
|Other Rooms:||As you walk through the main entrance door to the mill there is a spacious foyer with the main stairway leading to the upper floor giving access to the east and west wing bedrooms. This large foyer can be used for a number of activities either exercising on our step machine, or aerobics using the small weights, and gym fitness ball, reading, relaxing or just simply enjoying the ambience of the mill while having a coffee and a chat on the comfy sofa.
Upstairs the large balcony area, which contains two large comfy couches and a large well stocked Library with novels, children’s books and magazines, is a perfect place for reading and relaxing and having a coffee during the day or a nice glass of wine in the evening
Fully equipped utility/Laundry room with Washing machine, tumble dryer, baby bath and cleaning equipment, next door is the garden room with a separate downstairs WC with large shower, vanity unit with a hairdryer.
|Linen/Cleaning/Towels etc:||All linen and bath towels are included in the rental price.|
|Outside:||Downstairs the double doors at the rear of the kitchen lead you outside to a large 60m2 covered wooden decked patio area with a large table and chairs which is a perfect place for Al-fresco dining in the morning, lunchtime or evening, or just relaxing during the heat of the day as this is one of the shadiest spots.
The mill house has a wealth of facilities which include: Huge swimming pool area incorporating a 12m x 6m heated saltwater swimming pool with sun loungers, plus integrated 4m x 3m kids pool. A large 15m decking area, which houses the poolside Cabana with comfy seating and fans and the huge 8 person Jacuzzi with IPod docking station. At the poolside there is a Douche Soleil (Solar heated pool shower). In the rear gardens we have a children’s playground with swing set, slide, Trampoline, and a lovely wooden Wendy house. 16 free adult and children’s bicycles available for touring and exploring the area. Charentais stone built BBQ at the pool area. A traditional bread/pizza oven in the covered porch. Weber Genesis gas BBQ. 2 acres of beautiful landscaped grounds. Garden games (Badminton). A table tennis table. numerous board games. Library with a large selection of books and magazines.
|Additional notes (if any):||Satellite TV, DVD and CD player with IPod docking. Wi-Fi enabled.
Catering & Services
Rental of the house includes
- Meeting on arrival by the owners. Also check-out on day of departure by owners.
- All linen and large towels (bath and face towel) are included free of charge.
- A separate large swimming pool towels are also provided free of charge and are stored in the pool cabana.
- One laundry change per week upon request.
- On site management/housekeeping support is always available for your assistance and support.
- Children’s facilities such as high chairs, cots, stair-gates, a changing table, baby bath, right down to plastic plates, cups etc are available free of charge (vetted by a leading children’s holiday company).
Additional chef’s services can be arranged at a supplementary cost :
- Catered meal prepared by a reputable French chef (regional dishes) served within the premises of the house or its grounds. Prices and menus upon request.
- Chef is accompanied by waiting services. Guests are at liberty to provide their own alcohol – no corkage fee added-on.
- BBQ, Paella & Sangria party or spit-roast can be arranged. Prices and menu upon request.
Additional Pamper Therapy Treatments
Massage, reflexology, mini-facial, manicure and pedicure plus various other treatments can be done around the pool area next to the jacuzzi or in the privacy of the garden spa room. Portable massage/therapy beds can be set up anywhere and our therapist is able to spend 2 half hour sessions per person, split between the morning and afternoon. Prices and menu upon request.
Art and Painting Workshop
A local and talented artist, painter and illustrator affiliated to our local tourist board offers seasonal workshop/classes for adults and children. Subjects and themes include portraits, imaginary characters, animals and cartoons, landscape and more. Medium used include drawing with pencil/ink, sketching with pencil, watercolours and acrylic. The workshop is informal, educational, fun and relaxed and aims at developing creativity, accuracy of drawing and the pleasure of using one's imagination.
A popular option is the “travel sketch” whereby guests can combine a day’s outing (a picnic) and sketching exploring nearby country-side and what nature offers. Please enquire for prices and details (cost include all materials).
Weddings, Anniversaries and other Celebrations can be catered for at the mill. If our basic packages do not suit your requirements, please contatct us as we are flexible and open for discussion to tailor a special package to suit your personal requirements.
Wedding Package of 4 days / 3 nights start from £8,500 onwards and includes (additional night at supplementary cost) :
1) Exclusive rental and use of the mill and all its facilities and grounds.
2) Accommodation for up to 20 persons in 9 ensuite bedrooms (adults and children included with two on foldable beds sharing one or two rooms).
3) All linen and towels including a separate pool towels for 20 persons (Additional linen is available at a small supplementary charge).
4) An experienced, professional and friendly bilingual Wedding Planner to assist from start to finish.
5) Owners on-site to provide support and assistance from start to finish.
6) Pre-wedding planning visit with two-way airport transfer between either Bordeaux or La Rochelle airport plus one night stay at a local hotel.
7) A 3-course wedding breakfast (with option to upgrade).
8) A celebrant to preside over your Wedding here at The Millhouse.
9) Canapes and a glass of bubbly to enjoy after the ceremony.
10) No alcohol restrictions, allowing you to bring your own alcohol on site alternatively there is an option for us to organize this for you at a small additional cost.
11) A choice of two beautifully dressed bridal suites.
12) Champagne and chocolates for bride and groom.
13) House and grounds elegantly dressed for your wedding.
14) Use of our rose entwined garden pergola for your ceremony.
15) Use of our garden gazebos providing shade for your guests during the blessing ceremony.
16) Use of our beautiful white iron-wrought tables and chairs (for up to 40 persons)
17) Use of our brand new elegantly dressed marquee (9m x 18m) with tables and gilded chairs plus crystal chandeliers lightnings.
18) White table linen with matching napkins.
19) A 12m x 6m salt-water pool and an integrated 4m x 3m children pool nestled around a landscaped pool area.
20) A 10m poolside cabana with comfy seating (shaded for keeping out of the mid-day sun).
21) Douche soleil (solar heated pool shower).
22) Exclusive use of 8 persons Jacuzzi with integrated lights and ipod docking station and speakers.
23) Stone-built charcoal bbq located by the swimming pool.
24) Weber top fo the range gas bbq located by the rear terrace (gas bottled not supplied – can be supplied at a small additional cost).
25) A 60 sqm wooden decking rear terrace with outdoor table and seating for 20 people.
26) Enclosed children’s playground with swing set, slide, wendy house, trampoline plus many other garden games as well as a large slection of indoor board game.
27) A billiard table and table-tennis table.
28) A fleet of bicycles (adults and children), toddlers chariots, tag-a-long bikes, bike helmets (all provided at no extra cost).
29) Fully equipped modern kitchen with two ovens, two dishwashers, a huge American fridge, two-drawer beverage fridge, microwave, a wine coller and many more…
30) 50 inch plasma TV with built-in freesat, blue ray DVD and CD player with Ipod docking station.
31) Library with a large selection of books and magazines.
32) Hotel quality linen and towels plus separate pool towels.
33) 2 acres of beautiful landscaped gardens.
34) Wi-fi enabled throughout the main house, rear terrace and pool area.
35) Help on-hand throughout your stay.
36) Flexible Stage Payment.
Terms & Conditions
Security deposit £1000. This must be paid 8 weeks prior to arrival and will be refunded in full after departure subject to damage inspection.
Energy costs included in the rental price. If not included, depends on usage
Pets welcome? It depends.
Insurance: It is recommended that all guests take out insurance to cover against potential cancellation and any accidental damage caused during your stay at the property.
Changeover day Saturday.
No smoking in the main house nor the pool area.